Rebuilding the Soda kiln - 2014
After the bricks melted out on the last soda kiln, we needed to rebuild, starting from scratch. Here are some images from the build. Click on a picture to see a larger image and a caption. You can also scroll down to see a video of us dropping the arch form.
After starting the first course, I decided to expand the footprint by a brick- which meant unstacking brick and restacking brick--which happened a lot.
The arch curve that we settled on is 1211212112112121121.
The arch was calculated for 9" brick. Unfortunately, the brick was about 8 7/8". So we tried to fill the gaps with hard brick shims. Don't do this. It doesn't work.
So after we dropped the arch form, the shims all fell out. So we unstacked the brick, labeling each by number.
After the third go around (!) we decided to pack the gaps with Missou castable.
We used 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 1/4" angle iron
Time to drop the arch form. Hoping the arch bricks stay in place.
Looks pretty good. We won't really know how well the Missou castable works until we fire it a few times.
The hard brick interior is lined with a thin coat of 65% Custer, 25% EPK and 10% Whiting, per Donovan Palmquist